What is more comforting than squash and pumpkin during these cooler months of the year? The vibrant orange and auburn colors in this meal scream FALL TIME. A splash of real Canadian Maple syrup and it’s fall time overload.
This quick meal is great on it’s own as a main, on the side of your favorite meat entrée, or even the next morning with a sunny side up or poached egg.
There are 2 parts to this quick meal- the herb oil and the vegetables. Chop up your veg and pour your herb oil on top and pop it into the oven for a quick and satisfying meal.
Put a few pieces aside and mash or puree for baby and it is a meal for the entire family!
For this recipe, you will need:
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 2 cups of chopped Pumpkin
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of Onion
- 2 tablespoons of Fresh Cilantro
- 3 tablespoons of real Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Ginger
- 2 tablespoons of Garlic
- Juice of half a Lemon
- 1 teaspoon of 5 spice (OPTIONAL)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Chop up all of the vegetables into 1 inch cubes and place them into a roasting pan. (set aside a handful for baby in a separate pan)
3. For the herb oil, pour the olive oil into a bowl.
4. Finely chop the onion and cilantro and add it into the oil
5. Grate the ginger and garlic and add it into the oil as well
6. Pour the Maple Syrup and lemon juice into the oil mixture
7. Add the 5 Spice and give it a stir
8. Pour the herb oil over the vegetables and stir until all of the vegetables are evenly coated with the oil
9. Sprinkle Salt and pepper to taste
10. In the small pan for baby pour a bit of olive oil OR pour a bit of the herb oil if your baby is old enough to eat onions and garlic.
11. Pop into the oven uncovered for 45 minutes stirring at the halfway point. (Do not cover, you will end up with mashed potatoes!)
12. Serve as a main or on the side of any entrée. Mash or puree for baby and enjoy!