Hot oil treatments are one of my most pleasant childhood memories. Right before bed time my sisters and I would line up in front of mom for our warm, oily head massages.
It wasn’t until I became a hairdresser that I learned how to get the most out of my hot oil treatments.
Any of your favorite oil blends will work. You can use:
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Olive oil
- Hemp oil
- Castor oil
- Avocado oil
- Grape Seed oil
You can also add your favorite essential oils into the blend.
I’m going to be using coconut oil for my hot oil treatment. Coconut oil has really tiny molecules that absorb into your hair and scalp unlike olive oil that has larger molecules that only sit on top of your hair. Coconut oil also moisturizes your hair and scalp, promotes hair growth, and combats frizz and dandruff all while smelling delisshhh.
- Start by shampooing your hair. You want to make sure there is no product or build up on your hair and scalp so that the oil has a clear passage way into your follicles.
- Pour the coconut oil into a heat safe squeeze bottle.
- Grab a glass bowl filled with hot water and place the squeeze bottle into the bowl for several minutes until the oil is warm. The warmth from the oil opens up the cuticle layer on your hair allowing the oil to penetrate deeper.
- Test the temperature of the oil on your wrist before pouring it all over your scalp.
*Do not microwave the oil! This will lower the quality of the oil by destroying the nutrients.
- Squeeze the oil all over your scalp first and then onto your hair.
- Massage the oil for several minutes on your hair and scalp to increase absorption and to stimulate your hair follicles.
- Once the oil is thoroughly applied to your hair and scalp, roll your hair up and clip it into place. Apply a heat safe shower cap or wrap a damp towel around your head.
- Grab your hair dryer and heat the shower cap. Set your timer for a minimum of 20 minutes. Leave the oil on overnight if you can. The longer, the better.
- After 20 minutes the oil should have cooled down. Shampoo your hair a couple of times until all of the oil is out of your hair. (It usually takes me 3 shampoos to get all of the oil out.) Style your hair as usual.
I apply this treatment in my hair once every 1-2 weeks. It helps my hair to maintain its’ integrity through all of the colouring, crimping, curling and flipping.
You can also use this hot oil for body massages. It feels amazing on my neck and shoulders after an intense week. I love rubbing it on my feet and around my nails on my hands. The hot oil relaxes my entire body, It feels AHHmazing.